Thursday, May 13, 2010

Denials


Inspired by yet another magazine interview (I-Weekly Issue No. 653) Thank you Karen for the translation and Siti for the source. You can view it here . And oh, I'd like to dedicate this to Girlie Moore.

Denials


“Will you and Shin Hye be a real life couple?”

Jang Keun Suk looks at the interviewer, a smile playing on his lips as he digests the translated version of the question posed to him in Chinese.

Man, the media here is a lot more fun than in Korea, he silently muses as he laughs mischievously at the question. No Korean media would dare ask him this question back home. The entertainment reporters know the rules too well. No personal questions linking one actor to the other, please, unless if it has been agreed upon previously by both stars’ agencies to generate more scandal and attention to the drama/movie/project they are collaborating. Questions are even pre-approved by managers and talent agencies before the interviewer sits down with the actors. A lot of censorship goes into play in every interview, every TV guesting, every photoshoot that fans do not know about. Something which has always bothered actors like Keun Suk who want to hide nothing from the public, especially to the fans who love and support him. But the harsh realities of Korean entertainment dictate that he conforms to the system, especially with things that could potentially harm his career, like, questions about his personal life, for one.  People back home are very cautious about everything, Keun Suk complains, too cautious that they are missing all the fun.

But the international media is an entirely different story. As he embarks on his Asian Tour, from Taiwan, Beijing and now Singapore, he became aware that every entertainment industry has its own brand of censorship and norms. In some countries, asking straight-forward questions about an artist’s personal relationship with his co-actors seems to be as normal as asking about the weather, instead of being regarded as intruding. He is amused with the idea.

And man, this guy is persistent, he notes, referring to the over-enthusiastic reporter who fielded him the question. He thought he already dodged the question about him and Park Shin Hye the first time the reporter told him that a lot of fans seem to hope that he and Shin Hye could be a real life couple just like in the drama. Keun Suk had been taken aback by the question. He was not prepared to react to that. Of all the promotional interviews he did for the drama, in his fan meetings and in magazine interviews, no one had ever broached the concept of a “real-life couple” with Shin Hye in the same context as the interviewer was doing now.

He was caught off guard by the question but he quickly recovered from it and gave the safest answer he knew was appropriate for situations like that --- lavishing Shin Hye with all the great attributes he found attractive in her, hoping that the question about his pretty Go Mi Nam would stop there. But he was wrong.

The reporter rephrased the question but essentially asked the same thing over again. Is there a chance that he and Shin Hye can be a real-life couple?

He might have noticed that my answer was not responsive to his question, Keun Suk inwardly laughs at himself. Smart guy, this one.

The interpreter noona starts to repeat the question again but Keun Seuk stops her with his hand, smiling at her sheepishly, as he turns to his interviewer with eyes shining, giving a hearty laugh, before saying, “Who knows?”

In the corner of his eyes, Keun Suk could see Keunsama, his manager, shaking his head in resignation while mouthing the words “Punk” at his direction. He laughs. What did he do now, again? That’s the first thing that came to his mind. Or scrap that. That was the safest thing that came to his mind. So, could anyone blame him for being candid?


~0o0~

Keun Suk checks the clock at his hotel room’s bedside table. 8:00 P.M. It would be around 9 in the evening in Korea now, he calculates the time. Lying flat on his back at the king-size bed, he listens patiently at Snow Patrol’s husky and raspy voice on the other line as he waits for her to pick up.

“Finally…” comes the familiar lilting, soft voice on the other line, a little out of breath, he notices.

“Are you at the gym?” he asks, a little concerned. He waits patiently as she steadies her breath.

Ani, oppa. I was jumping rope here in my room while waiting for your call,” she confesses shyly.

He chuckles at the thought. “Still being productive even when waiting for me, huh? You’re too cute, you know that?”

He hears her pout over the phone. “I still have a lot of weight to lose, you know that. And the filming is about to start.”

Keun Suk knows that, of course. He pretty knows how Shin Hye can be so stubbornly dedicated to her projects that she would stop at nothing to perfect her craft. “Just don’t get too skinny like chopsticks, ahrasso?”

She laughs. “Even if I want to, you know I couldn’t.”

“You suit me just fine,” he assures her. “Guess what happened to me today?”

“What? Some guy asked you for a kiss again, oppa?” she jokes.

They laugh in unison. He had recounted to her in his last phone call about the weird guy who asked for a kiss in the press conference and obviously, they both haven’t recovered from the hilarity of it yet.

“No. Someone asked me today if Jang Geun Suk and Park Shin Hye have a chance to be a real-life couple.”

He hears her steady breathing as she digests what he just said. “A fan?”

Ani. A reporter,” he answers.

“What did you say?”

“I told him I have to ask you first,” he teases.

“Oppa! You didn’t!”

He ignores her protest. “So what’s the right answer to that, in your opinion?”

All he can hear from the other line is her breathing.

“Shin Hye!” he warns her, loving the way the conversation is going. Oh, how he loves to play a prank on Shin Hye and push her buttons.

“You probably answered something scandalous again, oppa,” she replies, gnashing her teeth.

“I did not!”

“Then why do I have the feeling that your answer in that interview would land on the top searches in Naver in the next few days, again?” she hisses.

“Just answer me, Shin Hye. Are Park Shin Hye and Jang Geun Suk going to be a real-life couple?” he repeats, mirth dripping in his voice.

“No!” Shin Hye plays along, “Because Jang Geun Suk always loves to make fun of Park Shin Hye. And so Park Shin Hye hates his guts!”

“Do you really mean that?” Keun Suk drawls, dropping his voice a little lower to make it appear that he becomes serious all of a sudden. “You hate me?”

He hears a dejected sigh at the other end. Then silence.

Keun Suk waits patiently, smiling. He knows Shin Hye is just deliberating whether to give in to him or not and he is enjoying her indecision.

Then his reward finally comes through from a thousand miles away. “Ahrasso, oppa. No, of course I don’t hate your guts. I was joking. Mianhe. You know how much I like you, right, Oppa?” she says, her voice tender, her tone sheepish. “I am just not comfortable talking about us in public, you know that. And when you keep dropping hints like that in your interviews, I always get a heart attack. You love to tease me so much I couldn’t outwit you. And I get frustrated every time,” she explains, her words sounding like a lullaby to his tired mind and body.

“Shin Hye…” he whispers to the receiver, missing her a lot now.

“And about the correct answer to that reporter’s question,” Shin Hye continues, “I hope you could have told them the truth, Oppa.”

Keun Suk smiles warmly at her words. “And what is the truth, Shin Hye?”

Her voice drops a few notches, “That Jang Keun Suk will have the chance to be with Park Shin Hye for real…if only…”

He sits up straight at her words. “If only?!” he asks, incredulous.

Ne, oppa. If only he learns when to stop pushing her buttons, once in a while. If only he tells her outright that he misses her instead of pulling pranks on her every chance he gets. If only he stops mentioning her name in fan meets because he very well knows that she is afraid of the backlash of getting too associated with him. If only he lets her have her way more often,” she sighs, “If only, oppa.”

“Ya! What are you saying? Hey, are we not a real-life couple yet?” Keun Suk asks, suddenly feeling a little insecure, his voice getting huskier as he tries to sweetly pacify an obviously irked Shin Hye.

He flinches at her sugar-coated reply, “Who knows, oppa?”


16 comments:

weng said...

I've been a silent reader of your blog since Feb. I just love the way you write ^^ Two thumbs up for you!!! I shared your link to our FB fanpage, I hope you don't mind and if you have time, pls, do visit our site: http://www.facebook.com/home.php?ref=home#!/pages/We-are-the-Mighty-SeOUL-Sisters/113023262048213
and blog: http://lovesears.blogspot.com/

Thank you for sharing your fanfics w/ us and more power!!!

Anonymous said...

Cool how she brought him to the point of feeling her frustration. Good ending!

I have to agree with the comment from weng. I only just stumbled onto your site and while I have to admit it was a little weird reading about *them* at first, once I started I couldn't stop. I went through all of your stories in 3 days! LOL I don't read fanfic normally but your stories are fun and interesting and thoughtful. Thank you for sharing!
-teana

jossa said...

Hi Weng, Wow I'm honored to have one of the Seoul sisters visit my site. I don't mind at all that you share my link on your fb page. And well, I must confess, I visit your blog regularly, especially when I need inspiration to write something about Seukkie. :)Thank you for all the Seukkie goodies. It's a one-stop shop.

To Teana, thank you for the wonderful words. I hope I don't disappoint you in my future works. What can I say, KS2H is just so inspiring to write about. :)

wengwa said...

waaaahhhh... what a very cute update! it's cute coz i can imagined how cute jang geun seuk looks like when conversing with shinhye on the phone hehehe... again i love every update u did on this fanfic, it was just fantastic and always make my heart flutter and happy :) tnx so much for this. i love the ending too. keep it up jossa! good thing one of the SEOUL sisters is reading ur fic and just like i've said before, i wish this fanfic of yours could reach our fave couple and read it so that they can come to their senses that they really need to be together hahahaha!!! my wishful thinking is working again. take care always... till next updates.

Panda said...

Very cute...and funny how Shin Hye is actually the one gets the last word... and it's the same as GS told the reporter "Who knows" haha ... Imagine if SH just hang up right there, what would GS do? Pulled his hair out of frustration?? hehehe

Love you fic, really.. I hope you could update more :P :P

fatini1989 said...

hye!!i just found out bout dis fanfic link just now frm lovesear blog..u did such a great work..thumbs up <3..
and if u dun mind, can u plis share all dos fanfic dat u hv done b4 n recently to me via email??seems like it wud take a long time 4me to open all thos tab to read all d story..and i'm hardly cn get internet connection at my housing area juz to keep following dis fanfic..if dat doesn't matter to u..thanx a lot..and here is my email-fatini1989@yahoo.com..
once again tq..im rily enjoy reading ur fanfic story..keep it up a good work!! hwaiting =)

mee said...

Raine!!!! I love this!!!
Hahaha, I love seeing Sukkie being insecure because he's always too confident. I love how Shin Hye always seem to get back at him for his pranks. They are a perfect match.

Ahh, if only they would come out and be a real couple right? I wish they could have a normal relationship like everyone else.

LOVE IT like always!!
Raine I love you!! <3333333

jossa said...

Wengwa, thanks for reading, as always!

Panda, i will try to update more often.

Fatini, i will try to email you my ffs. but they are a lot and they are kinda unedited...i edit them as i post them here, that's why. but let me find a way to mail them all to you as you see them here.

Mee! yeah, i wish they really are a real couple as we speak...they would really make a fun pair!

nofee8790 said...

OMG,Raine..im Nofee & I Super LOVE it!!!!Two thumbs up for ur FF!!!u can count me as ur big ur FF fan!!!:)

SukkieHye said...

i like d way u wrote it; sukkie felt insecure moment.

luv it. keep on writing, Raine!

elhabe25 said...

Jossa...i always always always loooove your ff...it's always refresh my shipper mode towards this superb couple..;P..and as always too this one is so well writen...everytime Keun suk is in the top to make a prank of Shin hye you often turn it to the opposite...he could be push to wait,or startled...after reading your ff i always have a trance...hahaha...thank you Jossa ;*

Anonymous said...

Hi Raine,

I have told you numerous times how I love your woven words. As always it seems so real. I especially love this because of your dedication. I have read it for the uptentht times. Thank you so much iha, I feel so honored to be an honorary aunt. Love you always.

jossa said...

Nofee, SeukkieHye and Elhabe, nice to see you around here. i have missed your comments. :)

Tita Girlie, love you back!

juhichi said...

love the ending. love it the whole fanfic. i love it. i super super super love it. how can you describe shinhye so well. :)

thanks jossa for another great fanfic :)

christine said...

oh well, i really like your work..i always feel like smiling after reading your updates..hehehe.. i so love JGS and PSH..and i'm so happy you wrote these stuffs..
and oh , by the way, i always have a print out of your updates, coz i like to read them all over again..hahaha..
i just love them all..
godbless..=D

Anonymous said...

I always have romantic ideas about Park Shin Hye and Jang Keun Suk, unfortunately I was not born to be a story teller. Reading your fan fictions about my favorite couple do make me happy. I never have enough of these two cute stars. Keep writing about them. I will always read anything about JKSPSH, not once, not twice but many many times. I love them so much.

Post a Comment